It was created in 2002, as a result of the alliance of 12 progressive and socially committed Spanish NGOs. Plataforma has set itself three big challenges to eradicate poverty and promote human development:
- To achieve a better distribution of the fruits of the economic growth among all the countries in the world, and thus reduce the great inequalities of the present.
- To achieve higher levels of equality inside each country, by means of redistribution policies that promote development.
- To improve the functioning and efficiency of the international development cooperation system.
Plataforma 2.015 y más demands the achievement of the objectives for the year 2015 ratified at the United Nations Millennium Summit: to half the number of people with a daily income of less than 1 US dollar -between 1990 and 2015-, to reduce infant mortality rates by two thirds and to guarantee universal primary education, among others.
To attain the mentioned objectives, the alliance will promote research and debate forums on those issues; carry out development cooperation activities and campaigns to raise citizens’ awareness; exert political pressure on public administrations, demanding coherence in the quantity and quality of ODA allocated; and participate in the creation of an alternative globalisation, by attending events such as the World Social Forum (Porto Alegre), official meetings and conferences parallel with those of the United Nations, and meetings on issues like the environment, gender, international commerce, human rights or labour rights.
The member organizations of Plataforma 2015 y más are:
* ACSUR-Las Segovias (www.acsur.org)
* Arquitectos Sin Fronteras (www.asfes.org)
* Asamblea de Cooperación por la Paz (www.acpp.com)
* CEAR (www.cear.es)
* Fundación CEAR (www.fundacioncear.org)
* Cooperacció (www.cooperaccio.org)
* Economistas sin Fronteras (www.ecosfron.org)
* IEPALA (www.iepala.es)
* IPADE (www.fundacion-ipade.org)
* ISCOD (www.ugt.es/iscod)
* MPDL (www.mpdl.org)
* Mundubat (www.mundubat.org)
* Paz y Solidaridad (www.pazysolidaridad.ccoo.es)
* Solidaridad Internacional (www.solidaridad.org).